| Current Toronto Time: 
Work permit pilot extended for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

Family reunification is a key immigration priority for the Canadian government. 

Recognizing that when families can live and work together, their integration outcomes are improved, Canada is extending the open work permit pilot for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class until January 31, 2019. This ensures applicants are able to work, provide for their families and contribute to the Canadian economy while waiting for their applications to be processed.

To be eligible for an open work permit, applicants must be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada who is being sponsored under the SCLPC class. They must have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student, or worker) and live at the same address as their sponsor.

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet received approval in principle under the SCLPC class, or have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete the work permit application. If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application – meaning you received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements but have not yet passed the medical, security and background checks for your family members or yourself – you may apply for an open work permit online.

If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before it expires.

If you are submitting a new application, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence.

Posted: Feb 3, 2018

April 2019

Centennial College

Immigration Peel Canada

© CanadaBound Immigrant 2016