| Current Toronto Time: 
Who is a skilled worker and who can apply under this category?

What does “federal skilled worker” mean?

Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada.

The term “federal skilled worker” refers to the category under which skilled workers apply if they want to live in any Canadian province or territory except Quebec.

Skilled workers who want to live in Quebec apply under a separate category.

The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers and, therefore, applicants going to Quebec through that program are known as “Quebec-selected” skilled workers.

Is the simplified application process still being used for skilled workers?

No. Changes have been made to the way skilled worker applications are processed. As a result, applicants are now asked to submit a completed regular application (IMM 0008).

What if I have applied but want to withdraw my application? Can I get my money back?

You can contact your local visa office and withdraw your application. Your fee will be refunded as long as the office has not begun processing your application. Will my fee be refunded if my application is returned or refused?

For applicants who sent in their applications before February 27, 2008, the date the changes to the immigration law took effect, your application will be processed.

You will not get a refund unless you choose to withdraw your application before it is processed.

If you applied on or after February 27, 2008, and your application is not eligible for processing, you will get a full refund.

If, however, your application is processed and refused, you will not get a refund.


Posted: Jun 30, 2010

April 2019

Centennial College

Immigration Peel Canada

© CanadaBound Immigrant 2016