| Current Toronto Time: 
Students can put money back in their pockets by filing their taxes

Post-secondary school can be overwhelming. While coffee may seem like the solution to any problem, putting a little money back in your pocket with tax savings might be the better answer.

Even if you have no income to report, you can still take advantage of several credits and benefits.

Here are a few tips to help you:
File your tax return. To take advantage of all of the tax credits and benefits available, you have to file your income tax and benefit return with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Why not file it online? It’s fast, easy, and secure.

There’s also a wide range of software programs you can use, including some that are free.

More information is available at www.cra.gc.ca/getready

You can also register for My Account, the CRA’s secure one-stop shop for managing your tax and benefit information.

With My Account, you can also register for online mail, and receive correspondence like your notice of assessment online.

You can also claim your tax credits.

Tuition fee. Most tuition paid to a post-secondary institution in Canada can be claimed.

For tuition fees, the education amount, and the textbook amount, you might also be able to transfer or carry forward any unused credits.

Education amount. You can claim $400 for each month you were enrolled in eligible full-time studies and $120 for each month you were enrolled in eligible part-time studies.

Textbook amount. If you’re eligible for the education amount, you can claim this, too: $65 for each month enrolled in full-time studies and $20 for each month enrolled in part-time studies.

Public transit amount. Generally speaking, you can claim the amount you spent on a monthly or annual public transit pass, but not on tickets or daily passes.

GST/HST credit. You can get payments of up to $70 every three months to help keep on top of your expenses.

To receive the GST/HST credit, you have to be 19 years old (unless you’re a parent or married or living common-law) and file an income tax and benefit return.

More information for students is available at www.cra.gc.ca/students

Find out how you can get help with your taxes online at www.cr.gc.ca/volunteer

– News Canada

Posted: Mar 2, 2017

July 2019

Centennial College

Immigration Peel Canada

© CanadaBound Immigrant 2016