| Current Toronto Time: 
Resources for visible minority newcomer women

Canada is making it easier for newcomer women to find a job by providing the support and services they need to succeed.

This will help them highlight their talents and experiences as they settle in Canada.

Some newcomer women face multiple barriers trying to find work and get ahead in Canada. This includes gender- and race-based discrimination, precarious or low income employment, lack of affordable childcare, and weak social and employment supports.

Recognizing these challenges, the government has selected 22 organizations from across the country that understand visible minority newcomer women, the barriers they face, and their circumstances. These organizations will launch projects over the next two years that will:

• Develop and test innovative approaches to enable more visible minority newcomer women to find a job and succeed at work;

• Support smaller organizations to increase their capacity to serve visible minority newcomer women and enable them to overcome barriers to employment; and/or

• Increase the digital literacy of visible minority newcomer women to access and advance within the Canadian labour market.

The government is committed to the full and equal participation of all women and girls, which is essential to Canada’s economic growth and prosperity.

“Visible minority newcomer women face more challenges than any other group to enter the work-force,” said Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship. “This isn’t just about getting women jobs; it’s also about providing a sense of dignity and belonging. Canada’s gender equality is for all women, not just for some.”

“Visible minority newcomer women face many intersecting barriers when trying to find a job,” said Maryam Monsef, Minister of International Development and Minister for Women and Gender Equality. “If we want to advance gender equality, we need to acknowledge that they exist and actively work to dismantle them. Everyone deserves to be able to develop their skills and find a good job so that they can take care of themselves and their family. By supporting the organizations taking part in this pilot project, we can better ensure that all women have an equal opportunity at success.”

A few quick facts:

• The Government is providing up to $7.5 million over two years to the selected 22 organizations to deliver new projects.

• Visible minority newcomer women have the lowest median annual income of all newcomer groups at $26,624, compared to non-visible minority newcomer women ($30,074), visible minority newcomer men ($35,574), and non-visible minority newcomer men ($42,591).

• Visible minority newcomer women are more likely to be unemployed. The unemployment rate of visible minority newcomer women (9.7 per cent) is higher than that of visible minority (8.5 per cent) and non-visible minority (6.4 per cent) newcomer men, based on the 2016 Census.



Why you need to get your credentials assessed in Canada


You’ll need to have your credentials assessed if  you immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker, come to Canada to work in a certain profession or trade, or come to Canada to study.

Getting credentials such as those for education, work experience and professional credentials you got outside Canada assessed will help you show employers what you are qualified for, understand the types of jobs for you might be qualified for, see if your credentials are equal to the standards set for Canadian workers, and find out if you need more training, education or Canadian work experience.

You can start the process to get your credentials assessed and recognized before you arrive in Canada. This takes time and costs money.

To apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), you must get Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs). This includes any of your completed foreign educational credentials, such as a diploma, certificate, foreign degree or  other proof of your credential.

ECAs show if your credentials are valid and equal to a completed credential in Canada.

You’ll also need to have your skills and training assessed to work in certain jobs in Canada.

No matter which type of job you’re looking for, make sure you have the language skills needed. Even if you have the language skills you need to immigrate to Canada, those skills may not be strong enough to work in the job you want to have.

There are two types of jobs in Canada: regulated and non-regulated.

Regulated jobs, including trades, are controlled by provincial, territorial, and sometimes federal laws. They are governed by a regulatory body or apprenticeship authority.

Regulated jobs are also called professions, skilled trades or apprenticeable trades.

They include jobs such as architects, plumbers and engineers.

These jobs are regulated to protect public health and safety by making sure people working in these jobs are qualified.

About 20 per cent of jobs in Canada are regulated.

In Canada, some provinces and territories regulate some jobs and trades while others do not. If you have a licence to work in a province or territory, it may not be accepted in others.

Regulatory bodies. A regulatory body usually assesses credential recognition. Check with the regulatory body or other group for your job to find out if you need to be assessed. They can tell you which credential assessment agency you should use.

You can also check their web-site to find out more about fees, licensing, eligibility and the process to get your credentials recognized.

To work in a regulated job and use a regulated title, you must have a licence or certificate or be registered with the regulatory body for your job in the province or territory where you want to work.

Each regulated job has its own requirements for getting a licence or certificate. Requirements for entry can be different between provinces and territories, but they usually include having your training and skills assessed against the job’s standards.

This is done by comparing your training with the training provided by Canadian colleges and universities.

You’ll need to show your original academic transcripts and other related documents, such as university course descriptions, having your language and communication skills tested, written exams, an interview or both and a specified period of supervised work experience.

You’ll be evaluated on your own merits. Don’t compare your experience to someone else’s. Understand the requirements as they apply to your own case in the province or territory where you plan to work.

Trades. If you want to work in a trade, visit Red Seal for more details about the training, skills and experience you’ll need to meet.

Trades include jobs such as bakers, carpenters and electricians.

As a tradesperson, you may be eligible to immigrate through the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Non-regulated occupations. Some employers need job applicants to be registered or certified by the relevant professional association. Having your credentials assessed and recognized helps Canadian employers understand what you’re qualified for.

Job requirements can vary greatly between employers. Be prepared to prove that you have the education or experience to do the job. You may have to show a certain level of skill and competence, have a certain amount of education and have personal traits that suit the job.

A credential assessment agency can assess your educational credentials for a fee. You may include this information in your résumé or curriculum vitæ (CV).

Studying in Canada. If you plan to study in Canada, you’ll need to have your educational credentials assessed.

Some post-secondary schools can do the assessment. In other cases you’ll need to go to an assessment agency.

Contact the post-secondary school you want to go to in Canada to find out what kind of assessment they need and accept. Then, contact the assessment agency recommended by the school you want to attend, if needed.

Assessment agencies charge a fee for their services. They don’t guarantee they will recognize your qualifications for getting accepted to study again in a Canadian post-secondary school, employment or certification/licensing purposes in Canada or make assessments that explain your academic background to employers, post-secondary institutions, professional bodies or compare your academic credentials with similar ones in Canada’s post-secondary educational system.

There are separate processes for having your educational credentials recognized for immigrating to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker, qualifying to work in a certain job (including getting a license) or finding a job.

When you are talking about immigration in Canada, these words have certain meanings:

• Credentials refer to degrees, diplomas, and certificates that you earned as part of your formal education and any document that states you are qualified to work in a certain job, such as licence, certificate or registration.

• Qualifications refer to your combined credentials, knowledge, skills and work experience. 

These will show if you are qualified to perform a certain job.

• Competencies refer to things that you have learned. They include a skill or set of skills, level of knowledge, conduct and practice and ethical, legal, communication behavioural norms for a specific occupation.

                                                                                       – Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Posted: Aug 1, 2019

February 2020

Centennial College

Immigration Peel Canada

© CanadaBound Immigrant 2016