| Current Toronto Time: 
Ministry’s tips on how to choose a Canadian immigration consultant

Are you, a friend or family member going through the immigration or citizenship application process?

You can get all the forms and instructions you need to apply for a visa, a permit or citizenship for free on Government of Canada’s website (www.canada.ca).

Following the instructions in the application guides will help you fill out the forms and submit them yourself. Using a representative to help you with immigration or citizenship applications is entirely your choice.

If you decide to use a representative, choose carefully:

Ask people you trust to recommend someone. Get advice from several people before you choose.

Ask questions. Be careful of choosing someone who will not answer your questions.

If you hire a paid representative:

Make sure they are authorized, which means they have a licence to practise and give advice.

Authorized representatives are members of one of these groups:

The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council;

A Canadian provincial or territorial law society; or

The Chambre des notaires du Québec.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) will not deal with a representative who charges a fee but isn’t a member of one of these groups.

Ask about the representative’s training and experience. For example, ask for references and find out how long they have been in business.

Make sure to get a written contract and read it carefully before you sign it.

Make sure the contract lists all the services the representative will give you, such as immigration advice or dealing with IRCC on your behalf, and clearly states the fee you discussed. Be aware and protect yourself from fraud. Beware of a representative who suggests or encourages you to give false information in your application. It is against the law. You could be denied entry into Canada or deported after you arrive.

Don’t sign blank application forms. Don’t sign any forms or documents that you cannot read. If you don’t understand them, ask someone to translate them for you.

Get copies of any documents that your representative makes for you. Any time you pay your representative, get a signed receipt.


Posted: Apr 7, 2020

May 2020

Centennial College

Immigration Peel Canada

© CanadaBound Immigrant 2016