Canadians and Americans are among the most individualistic people in the world. In business, they reward employees for taking initiatives and they often give public rewards for personal achievement and individual leadership.
Typical expressions include the following:
• Do your own thing – do whatever is important to you.
• You can’t depend on anyone but yourself.
• You made your bed, now lie in it – you have to take the consequences for what you do.
• You’d better look out for yourself, no one else will.
It’s every man for himself (or woman for herself).
– From You’re Hired... Now What? by Lynda Goldman, Oxford University Press, $29.95